Sunday 15 July 2012

Chapter 1: Teaching Mathematics in the 21st Century

Before I start reflecting on the chapters that I have read, allow me to share this quote above. As an early childhood educator that worked closely with young children, I am proud that I'm teaching and exposing them to Mathematics at such an early stage of their life. The fact that I am their first Math teacher made me even proud of the profession that I'm in for the last 8 years. 

Numerous standards movement have taken place throughout the years. 
1989- Curriculum and Evaluation Standards for School Mathematics
1991- Professional Standards for Teaching Mathematics
1995- Assessment Standard for School Mathematics
2000- Principles and Standards for School Mathematics
2006- Curriculum Focal Points
and finally 2010- Common Core State Standards (presented by Council of Chief State School Officers, CCSSO)

My first impression when I read about the different standards movement that were published was how Mathematics education has evolved throughout the years. This reminds me of an experience that I had 6 years ago when I taught tuition to a Primary 6 child who is sitting for her PSLE. Often, I had to do the sums myself first and checked the answer sheet before teaching the student. I found myself flipping through her Maths textbook looking for ways to teach her problem sums as I didn't want her to be confused with the different teaching styles. I don't remember much emphasis was given to diagrams during my time but times have changed. It took me a while to get used to the new Math standard and sad but true, I was learning alongside with her too. But one thing for sure, all this movements have brought positive transformation not only to the U.S. but the world too. 

Principles and Standards for School Mathematics (2006)
The Six Principles:
- Equity
All students deserve an opportunity to learn Mathematics
- Curriculum
Children should see it as an integrated whole and not a collection of bits and pieces
- Teaching
Effective mathematics teaching requires understanding what students know and need to learn and then challenging and supporting them to learn it well
- Learning
Based on two fundamental ideas ( Learning Mathematics with understanding and Students learn Mathematics with understanding)
- Assessment
Teachers can better make the daily decisions that support student learning by gathering data of their understanding of concepts and growth in reasoning
- Technology
It influences the Mathematics that is taught and enhance students' learning
I stumbled upon this video of Conrad Wolfram presenting his idea of teaching kids math through computer programming. It will definitely sparked more interest to learn Maths for the children but on a long run, I'm worried of the side effects it may bring.



Becoming a Teacher of Mathematics
The statement above clearly showed how important and vital the role of a Math teacher. You will shape Mathematics for the students you teach. Not only curriculum standard have gone through various transformation but a lot has been said about what a Math teacher should possess. 
- Knowledge of Mathematics
- Persistence
- Positive Attitude
- Readiness for change
- Reflective Disposition

Being a teacher to two year olds this year, I believed some of the characteristics above are either already in me or something that I picked up along the way. We are required to write reflections every week where I will be reflecting on lessons where objectives were met or that required a lot of careful and individualized planning. I felt that the reflection process has made me grow and develop into an effective teacher. When I was told by the Centre Director that I will be taking Toddlers this year, I was skeptical about it. The first thing that came to mind, "What am I going to teach them?" Therefore, having the positive attitude that you can do it and open to changes made me accept the challenges that comes with it. Looking back, I am one proud teacher when my 2 year olds sang counting songs and rhymes to their parents at home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment