Monday 23 July 2012

Making Sense of Numbers.....

CPA Approach
On Tuesday, Dr Yeap introduced the Concrete- Pictorial- Abstract approach (CPA) that made a lot of sense in teaching young children Mathematics. He also explained how the lesson should developed over time when teaching number concepts to children. The materials used for the first lesson should be the same (e.g. 5 identical marbles). Then you can progressed to introducing 5 chalks of different colors. Since the focus is on numbers, Teachers should avoid providing materials of different sizes or length. For example, the chalks that come in different length will divert the children's attention. This is what we call distracting variables. 


Subitize? 
Its meaning: to perceive the number of (a group of items) at glance and without counting


What the hell is that was my first reaction when Dr Yeap mentioned the word in class. As I read the definition of it in the textbook (Chapter 8, page 129) and a brief explanation from Dr Yeap, I understood what the word meant. I tried subtilizing with the dotted cards below. It was easy for me to subtilize the 2nd number card since the arrangement of dots are familiar (found on the die). 

Development of Verbal Counting Skills
As I was reading Chapter 8, suddenly I thought of what a mother to a child I used to teach tell me, "My child can count until 100". The scenario that I just mentioned is common among preschool teachers. Often parents failed to realize that their children are just rote counting but they have yet acquired the skill to connect this sequence in a one to one correspondence. Nevertheless, it's still important to expose children to the language of numbers from young. This can be done by exposing them to books and counting songs and rhymes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment