Sunday 22 July 2012

Interesting and inspirational discoveries on first day of class....

After a long time since polytechnic days, I am actually in a class learning Mathematics again! On my way for class in the taxi, I was hoping that the day will pass really fast so that I will be able to go back home to attend to my newborn. I was praying that the class better do justice to my sacrifices since it's only been two weeks since I gave birth. 
Verdict after first lesson: I would not trade anything else for today. It was a day of making discoveries and solving number problems. 

Dr Yeap cited a quote from Albert Einstein, “Many of the things you can count, don't count. Many of the things you can't count really count.” I was thinking hard on the meaning behind it and finally I came to an understanding on what it's all about. Like love, it can't be measured and it's supply is infinite. There is no way we can measure how much we love something or someone. I believe a measurement of love is measured by one's personal consciousness.




Out of the activities that we did today, I particularly enjoyed the card game. He introduced the game like how we would do it with our preschoolers. I could imagine children getting intrigued by the 'magic show' and wanting to know the secret of being able to do the same. Needless to say, Dr Yeap made us think of how it is possible. Together with my group mates, we brainstormed and came up with different solutions. It was all about trial and error and finding the pattern. It was getting interesting when we are so close to finding the answer. Both Sara and I watched in awe as Atiqah spelled out the name of the numbers. We shrieked with delight as Atiqah flipped the right card. It sure felt good when you are able to 'crack' the problem. I can't wait to share this 'Magic card game' with my colleagues and children in school!

No comments:

Post a Comment